Please note, I have moved all the pattern files to Ravelry. You will need to be a member to download them. Membership is free.

5/13/11

Curly the Bear for Machine Knitting

Curly the Bear has what I think is an interesting story behind it. Before purchasing my first machine, I bought a few magazines. One of them had a pattern for a wonderful teddy bear in it for standard gauge Japanese machines. However, in the end, I bought a Passap double bed machine, which works differently than the Japanese ones. I still wanted to make that teddy bear though. So I asked my teacher about it (my Passap came with 10 lessons) and she said "Oh, you can't make stuffed animals on a Passap." I was quite taken aback by that. I thought the statement ludicrous. I determined to figure out how to do it on my own.

The magazine with the teddy bear pattern disappeared. To this day, I don't know where it is. So I ended up figuring out a way to make one on my own. Curly was the result. I took him to my very next lesson and pointed out that stuffed animals can too be made on a Passap.

This particular pattern, however , is not written for the Passap machine. (I'm not sure I'll even put it up here because I don't think there'd be an interest.) Japanese machine owners kept asking me to convert the pattern for their machines, so I did. For 4.5mm standard gauge knitting machines, I present:


Curly the Bear by Precious Knits



Knit in 3/15 (fingering) weight acrylic, there are instructions for two sizes of Curly. The pieces are knitted flat, then sewn. Polyester fiberfill is used for stuffing. The hair is knit on the machine, then sewn on to the head. I used purchased shank back eyes because once they are on they are impossible to take off, but one could embroider eyes on just as easily. Either way, they should be safe for babies.

Linky --->   Curly the Bear



I do my best to make these patterns accurate, but even still there might be errors. Please let me know if there are by posting a comment here.

Live long and prosper! \\// 

6 comments:

Gini said...

I saw your pattern and love it very much. I still owe a 4,5 mm brother and certainly will give it a try ;-)

steel breeze said...

I'd like to see the Passap version! It's very cute!

sarahjeanne18 said...

Thanks so much for generously sharing these machine knitting patterns! Looking forward to making these adorable teddies for my 3 and 4 year old daughters. :)

BunnyJean said...

Link is leading to: "The requested page does not exist." Any ideas how I might retrieve this lovely pattern??

Anonymous said...

This was really an interesting topic and I kinda agree with what you have mentioned here!Eddy the Teddy bear

Beadknitter said...

BunnyJean, I have fixed the link. The site that was hosting my files changed some things and I had to quit using it. I've moved everything to Ravelry. You have to be a member to download the pattern, but membership is free.